Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Demand Change

Demand Change

As a young man I felt that anyone with enough passion and fortitude could address an issue of inequality and do something to fix it. I did not have the audacity to believe that the whole problem could be overcome by one person. I did believe however that the major reason inequality is so persistent in our world is because so few people actually utilize their power. We are lulled to sleep by the unfulfilling materialism and creature comforts that surround us.

While I maintain all of the same opinions today, I am less judgmental of myself and others. Getting angry at someone for living a way I disagree with does little good in the broader world. Rather, I believe loving that person, empathizing with her, and the empowering her with knowledge and strategies to live "better" is both more productive and offers a greater chance of success.

No comments: