Friday, October 16, 2009

Hey everyone,
First, I have received more than a few concerned emails about our safety under the current political situation. We are safe and content in our little community about 35 kilometers from the capital. The political problems do not really affect us other than the concerns I mentioned already (although there was a recent decree passed that if 5 or more people were meeting and discussing politics they could be arrested even in your own home). Yet, the two governments are finally starting to dialogue--a good sign for the country. Please do not worry about us...I will keep you updated as we have internet access.

Second, all is well here. We are visited by kids on average four times a day for any number of reasons: to see Santi, to take a walk with Elizabeth, to pick fruit from our trees, to ask us to speak english, and to ask me to play soccer. It has been fun but at times a little too much. As part of our noise and privacy reduction program, we are moving from the center of the community to one of the outskirts (about four hundred yards). It was a building originally built for religious congregations and had been the home of a small group of nuns who ran the daycare and some workshops. It has a beautiful view and is super tranquilo. I will send photos next time.

Third, our family. Santiago now has his first tooth, is sitting up on his own and loves to take baths. He has also earned the name Bam-Bam from some of our friends due to his high energy and love of making noise.

Elizabeth is doing well and is excited about the move. She has made a number of friends, especially other mothers, with whom she is learning to cook Honduran style. She is also thinking about how to volunteer at the clinic.

As for me, I am playing 4-aside soccer almost everyday, working on putting on a tournament with the help of The Futbol Project, and enjoying taking an hour long walk with Santiago every morning. My research is also going very well--indeed, I have been so successful at gaining access that I will adding a third community into my study.

In addition, two days ago I gave a presentation to the Fundacion Cristo del Picacho, my primary sponsoring organization in Honduras. They were so excited about my project that they have offered to let us stay as long as we want and have given their full support of what I am doing. As of now I am tempted to stay longer but that is a family decision to be made next spring.

Un fuerte abazo (a big hug),
The Alaniz Family



No comments: